Creamy mashed potatoes, one of my favorite comfort foods, made lighter and healthier, but just as delicious.
- 2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large saucepan. Add enough water so they are covered by at least 1 inch. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, 10 – 15 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add the milk and oil to the potatoes. With a potato masher or electric mixer, mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper, as necessary.