Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Panini
Tomato, mozzarella, and basil are mouthwatering members of a classic Italian combination. Usually seen in caprese salads, SkinnyMs. has combined these ingredients in a savory panini. Whole wheat bread slices, juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzarella cheese slices, and olive oil. The sandwich is then cooked and flattened until golden crisp, yielding creamy, melted cheese that pairs perfectly with bold basil and sweet tomatoes.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1 thin slice of red onion
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of kosher or sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Spread olive oil with a pastry or basting brush over two slices of bread. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- Place one of the bread slices, oil-side down and top basil leaves, tomato slices, onion, and mozzarella. Top with other piece of bread, olive oil side up.